Saturday 15 September 2012

Walnut Mooncakes




Walnut Mooncake is my Dad's & mine favourite.

In the past, I used to buy from Harbour City Restuarant which sells very nice Walnut Mooncake. However, 3 years ago.. I cant find it anymore... searching high and low for it... but was in vain.
then I got to know that the restaurant is no longer in business....

Sadly.. we have not taken that for these 3 years as I am unable to find good ones. Recently, I google for the recipe of this moon cake and was so happy that I found it and it seems that its a good one since so many food bloggers has had tried it out.

Today, I finally given it a go to try it...

Thanks for the food bloggers for the generous sharing of the wonder recipes.

Walnut Mooncake (Source from Baking Mum)

Ingredients :

360g Plain flour
25g custard powder
1/2 tsp Sodium Bicarbonate
50g Icing sugar
50g Shortening
220g butter (Salted)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Ammonium Bicarbonate - Omitted
1 egg
Walnut for decoration

Filling:
1 kg Lotus paste - used White Lotus paste (Less sugar)
200-250g walnut (Toasted and Chop) - I replaced with melon seeds

Method :

1. Cream sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla extract together till slightly white (Slow speed first then change to high speed.

2. Gradually add in egg.

3. Lastly, add in the sifted flour,  custard powder and sodium bicarbonate to knead to a dough (Don't mix too long). Leave the dough in fridge overnight or for few days.

4. Take out the dough from fridge and divide into each portion of 20g each.

5. Divide the fillings into 30g each. (If you like egg yolk, filling 25g to wrap the 1/2 yolk) 

6. Wrap fillings into dough and decorate with walnut. Apply egg wash and bake at 160C for 10 mins. Take it out and leave it for about 10mins and apply egg wash again. Bake for another 15 mins.





He has been eyeing and eyeing ever since this tray is out of the oven..... and he finally get to taste...
He took 2 at a shot....  if not of me stopping him.... he is out for 3rd serving...... hahaha....




Really a nice nice recipe.. Thanks so much for sharing.... Its really Yummy!!







1 comment:

  1. Hi! I want bigger mooncakes so I increased the lotus paste to 30gm with half an egg yolk. So what should be the weight of the dough? As I have increased my lotus paste, do I use whole egg yolk instead of half? i am concerned about balance. Appreciate your reply. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete